More on Illegal Immigration

on Thursday, July 5, 2007




























Take a look at these pictures. I almost want to cry. Here you see a group of students hoisting the Mexican flag over the American flag, which they have hung upside-down. This demonstration took place at Montebello High School in California last year.

**Before I move on, I want to clarify (because anonymous people have made comments on my blog accusing me of not verifying my facts, when in actuality, I do more verification than any other blog I have ever come across – let this prove that...) that this was NOT done by students at Montebello High. In fact, students at this school were on lockdown and remained in their classrooms as group of students from another school district estimated close to 1,000 marched onto their campus and performed this protest.**

When you saw these pictures, was the first thing that entered your head, “Gee, these people love clearly love America and want to become Americans themselves”… cuz I sure wasn’t impressed with that thought. In fact, these photos remind me of pictures we’ve all seen showing Islamic fascists burning and desecrating the American flag. How disgraceful. Recently I received several e-mails, each of them detailing an analogy of what illegal immigration truly is. Normally, I try diligently to not post things I receive in e-mails, but I felt that this was appropriate to post. I have slightly edited the original text below to remove redundancy. Here it is:

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, prohibit them from staying indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests. Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors and mowed the lawn. I've done all the things you don't like to do, and because of that single fact, you have to let me stay.”

According to the protesters:

You are Required to let me stay in your house
You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan, though I will contribute none
You are Required to educate my children
You are Required to provide endless benefits to me & to my family
You are Required to pay me Medicare and Social Security, even though I don’t pay taxes and I don’t contribute to either of these funds

And if you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my ‘right’ to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house!!!

And I will continue to protest my ‘right’ and I will continue to live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior. (Even though I shouldn’t be there in the first place!)

Oh yeah, one last thing, I DEMAND that you learn Spanish so that you can communicate with me. I also require that you celebrate our national holidays and allow me to march your streets carrying a Mexican flag.
(End of text)

Well said.

In a seperate immigration posting below that I typed a few weeks ago
a man named Eric made the following comment (in red) in which I have interjected my own thoughts (my thoughts are in italics):

Although many valid points you make, I have to add a few points. (Sorry Eric, but your arguments are some of the weakest I’ve ever heard, which I will soon show.) These illegal immigrants are just trying to do what all of our ancestors have done. I'm sure if the Native Americans had a legal system we all would have arrived here illegally. (But they DIDN’T have laws back then, did they? We did not immigrate her 'illegally' several hundred years ago because there were no laws to break at that time - now there ARE laws and that currently makes it illegal.) Unfortunately most of them cannot immigrate legally because they don't have enough money. (Just because they don't have enough money to do it the legal way doesn't mean that they get a free pass to do whatever they want. Does that mean that I can walk into the store and break the law by stealing anything I want and then argue that I should be allowed to keep the stolen goods simply because I don’t have enough money to pay for them?.. cuz Eric, that's what you're saying.) If all illegal immigrants were kicked out, what would happen to our farms? Sorry to say it, but they are the only ones willing to work in the fields. Our economy would hurt in those regards. (Pedro can still work on the farm if he's a true legal citizen; Illegals aren't the only ones who will do (or who are currently doing) ‘dirty’ jobs. There are thousands of Mexicans who work in kitchens and mow lawns and work in fields - and they're all here legally with the proper documentation! In fact, it's required by law that ALL workers require documentation. So technically, Pedro shouldn't even be working on the farm in the first place if he is here illegally.) What we need to do is give them incentive to PAY taxes since they are going to be here no matter what. (Incentive to pay taxes?? Taxes will provide you free health care and retirement benefits. Taxes will provide police for your streets and education your children? Taxes will pay soldiers to protect your freedoms? The list goes on and on... Does anyone ‘need’ any more incentive to pay taxes?? Fact is, they just don’t WANT to pay taxes – they have all the incentives they need, but they are simply freeloaders.) Me personally, I like that we have such a diverse country with people speaking all sorts of languages and sharing all sorts of cultures. (I agree with you, Eric - except for the language part. In America we speak English. Also, maybe you never finished reading my original posting below – I have nothing against immigration. In fact, I am the product of immigration as I have mentioned earlier. But do it LEGALLY!!! Somebody please tell me, why is that too much to ask?)

2 comments:

Eric said...

Let me clear up my opinion and make a few more points. First of all I'm all for immigrating legally. I believe in the law and what it does for our country. Unfortunately my hope for legal immigration will not make this country impenetrable. People will immigrate here illegally no matter what I or you think. My point was that we should put ourselves in their shoes. If you were born in mexico and worked your butt off to make 150 dollars a month, you would do anything it took to help your family. Knowing that you could make almost ten times that amount here would send you packing as well. My whole point is to have sympathy for them and think of a solution that works for our CURRENT situation. What is your solution? Kick all of them out? I work with several Mexicans and let me tell you that you are naive if you think that only legal immigrants are working. They just give a social security number to the employer and thats all they need. It's not too hard to make up a nine digit number. We have millions of illegal workers in this country and the fact is that we need them to do the jobs they do or thousands of AMERICAN companies would go under. The workers that I have worked for don't pay taxes because they are affraid of releasing info to the government and getting caught and thus sent back. So when I said incentive, they do need incentive to pay taxes. The incentive they need is the reassurance of staying here. If we could give them that reassurance then they would do it. I have talked this over and over with several of my fellow workers and I know this is the case whether you believe it or not.

Mike said...

Did I say that we should kick them all out? No! Did I say that I think that legal immigrants are the only ones working? No!

You say that you are “all for immigration legally” but then you provide a lengthy comment that seems to argue just the opposite. Eric, why do you justify the fact that these people use fake SSNs to get a job and then don’t pay taxes to avoid getting caught? Believe me, those kinds of arguments doesn’t strengthen the validity of your position. In fact, your comments are beginning to make me wonder if you and/or your co-workers are illegal immigrants yourselves!

You never answered my original question: Do you think that they (illegals) should abide by our country’s laws, or not?.. Based on your comment record, I’m guessing that you say ‘no'